13 April 2009

Open-Faced Chicken Burgers


This has become a staple in our house. It's easy, quick and healthy. The original recipe called for ground turkey and used ricotta cheese. I substituted ground chicken and didn't have any ricotta cheese so I substituted cottage cheese and added feta. They're so juicy and light on the carbs. A lot of times, when I have them as left-overs I don't even use the bread on the bottom.

****Please excuse the horrible pictures! I really need to work on them. And yes, I used reduced fat cheese that doesn't melt as well.

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients

  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 cup vertically sliced sweet yellow onion
  • 1/4 cup part-skim cottage cheese
  • 1/3 cup Feta (I don't normally measure it, I just dump some in)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 pound ground chicken breast
  • 1 large egg white
  • 1 T italian seasoning
  • Cooking spray
  • 4 (1-ounce) slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese
  • 4 slices bread (I've used everything from wheat to english muffins)
  • Dijon mustard

Preparation

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion to pan. Cook 5 minutes or until lightly browned; stir occasionally. Transfer onion to a bowl.

Preheat broiler.

Combine cheese and next 4 ingredients (through egg white). Divide turkey mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Return pan to medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add patties to pan; cook 4 minutes or until brown. Turn patties over; cook 1 minute.

Place bread slices in a single layer on a baking sheet; broil 2 minutes or until toasted. Spread 1 tablespoon mustard on each bread slice; top each serving with 1 patty and onions. Top with cheese and broil until melted

Nutritional Information

Calories:
348 (23% from fat)
Fat:
9g (sat 4g,mono 2.2g,poly 2.6g)
Protein:
43.4g
Carbohydrate:
22.4g
Fiber:
1.5g
Cholesterol:
50mg
Iron:
2.1mg
Sodium:
848mg
Calcium:
325mg

1 comment:

  1. I made this tonight for dinner with the turkey and ricotta. It was delicious! Nick really liked it too. I can't wait for leftovers. :)

    ReplyDelete